In any case, we've spent the past few months working on the specimen. It was pretty complete as far as Hell Creek crocs go (which isn't saying much, though if you saw the poster on the specimen at SVP last year, you have a pretty good idea) but it needed some parts badly.
|Skull bones getting molded|
|Donor gator, tail skilfully removed for shipping|
|Processing through, those jaw muscles give me nightmares|
While the beetles were chewing away at the smelliest part of the gator, Jacob restored the missing bits of the casts of the original material. Missing neural spines and transverse processes were sculpted. When we got the modern bones back, they were disassembled and molded. Where possible we incorporated any part of Ernie into the restored bones.
|Ernie's coming for you!|
|I especially like the shadow|
Once remolded, assembly was pretty straightforward. The prototype was completed this week and will be headed back to Rockford for display in the upcoming brand new "Homer's Odyssey" exhibit in a very shortly!